At 04:11 PM 7/17/03, Timothy Stone wrote:

Eric Chevalier wrote:

If you're going to install Cygwin and XFree86 on the Windows systems, what about the possibility of installing x3270 on those same boxes, as well? The New Features/Change List for x3270:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/7814/man/New.html
has a comment about "Compatibility changes for Cygwin". I don't know if a pre-built x3270 binary for Cygwin is available somewhere, but if you're really talking about 600+ clients accessing the mainframe, it may be worthwhile to build x3270 from the source code for your environment. This solution might not do all that much to help promote Linux (since all software would be running on the Windows boxes), but it would help promote Open Source initiatives. Also, you won't have to worry about the effect of 600 x3270 clients running on your Linux server.
Eric

Actually I want to avoid cygwin + xfree86. But I'm now thinking that I could build an installer with NullSoft to do simplify this task greatly! Anything more, i.e. a regular cygwin install and configuration would blow circuits in the hardwired MCSE neural nets my coworkers affectionally call "brains". >:)

VNC is an option, but would be frowned upon by the same coworkers (though they have "just discovered" VNC)--like it was brand new, and "it's free! can you believe it?! To bad it's not on Linux." (seriously, I had to bring them down slowly). Installing VNC would be considered a security issue for at least one of them or both.

Tim

What's the security issue with VNC? You can run encrypted sessions (like ssh). I think there is a problem with VNC, however. You would need to start 600 instances of the vncserver on the linux box and assign each windows client their own port, because (it is my understanding that) VNC cannot search for an unused port. If you need each user to have their own VNC password, then I believe this means that you will need to create a linux account for each user - and you would need to initiate the vncserver for each of these users if the machine reboots. At least you could configure all startup profiles to run your x3270 program!

Frank