I think of it more like gnutella style. The user can set the percentage/pirority...
etc of how much CPU resource consumed by external program, then an resource intensive
progam will likely to return the result slower.
Since it is NOT possible that all the same hardware platforms are VERY BUSY at the
same moment, there will still be some of them return the result very quickly, some
very slow. The developer can set the number of sample to be 3, then when 3 sample of
each hardware platform is received, a stop command is issued automatically(or he can
issue manually) to that group of machine which they will cease working for that
program immediately. As long as there will be idle Linux machine or NOT EXTREMELY busy
Linux machine, there will be a rich ground of automatical beta-testing.
  As for the issue of security: That belong to the responsibility of Sharer to create
a virtual protected mode, and ANYTHING happen inside must have NOTHING to do outside.
It is rather easy to achieve that under Linux. Or we can add a stop button for owner
of that computer, if s/he doesn't think what is happening, s/he can manually stop that
process.
  Also an .org may be setup to gave each developer a uniquely identifiable number tag
so each progam is tracable to an individual.
  Yes any program that demand user input is unlikely to be tested in that enviornment
because it require VERY LITTLE from the user.
  The program is likely consist of five compenents:
  1. Identifier: indicating the hardware platform of each machine is;
  2. Communicator: Send and recieve help,stop signal, program and result to the web;
  3. Sharer: Create protected mode of CPU, help managing system resource;
  4. Executor: Carry out the testing program
  5. CEO: excute EXCO function like stop, start and setting percentage, target
hardware platform, number of sample....etc.
  Once a developer finish writing a program, he use CEO to entre the detail of target
hardware platform, along with a simple description of what it does, number of sample,
time period, expiry time, then Communicator would broadcast all these to www, the
Communicator on the other end receive the signal, CEO check the Identifier if it is
the "right" machine, if yes then it init the Sharer with pre-set precentage by the
user, the program is then execute by Executor,the result is then send by Communicator
along with indicator of hardware platforms.
  Any problem?