Sorry for the HTML message. My first time posting to the list and I guess at some point it became the default for Eudora to send HTML e-mails.

I was restarting xinetd just in case. Process of elimination.

Results of Verify:
S.5....T c /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers
S.5....T c /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
.M...UG.   /var/ftp
.M...UG.   /var/ftp/pub

Results of Netstat:
tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN 1557/xinetd

Ftp user is in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow

Ftp directory is correct.

Replaced the config file with one straight out of the rpm, unchanged, and started the service.

service vsftpd status - vsftpd dead but subsys locked.

This is just crazy. I think I am going to remove the vsftpd and reinstall it. Hopefully it will be easy with the rpm manager.

Any other ideas?