On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:59:56PM -0400, Lee Flier wrote:
> Otto Haliburton wrote:
>
> >Yes, what you are wanting to do is doable, but remember that in general
> >you will not get support from Comcast for linux,
> >
> Yes, I'm aware of that. :-)  I already have it working fine with Linux
> on my dual boot machine, it's just making the two private IP's work with
> the one static/public IP that I'm a little hazy on.

What I do is connect a Linksys router/firewall to the cable modem.  In
my case, it's got the dynamic address, but you can configure yours with
the static IP.  Then the systems connected to the firewall connect using
a private IP address (192.168.0.x) and have their default gateway set to
the router (which has two addresses - one facing in and one facing out -
the one you want to point to is the internal one).  Once you've solved
the outgoing connections, just turn on port forwarding for the inbound
connections for things like http or smtp.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]