Establish the internl network using a "cable router".
 All local IPs are then assigned by the router , and the router goes to the
cable and gets its EXTERNAL IP  there.  The cable sees your net as one
address, and all internal messaging stays internal, with only the internet
bound traffic actually going out.  Incoming internet messages are routed to
the appropriate boxes, by the router..  (which may also provide some some
useful firewall service.)

Using a hub and letting all the internal boxes go directly to the cable
modem lleaves all your internal network wide open.  Also most cable services
only allow one IP per account (non business) and can shut you down for
putting more than one pc directly connected.

brian:)
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

At 04:33 PM 8/2/03 -0400, Lee Flier wrote:
>I will soon have a similar situation... I have two computers at home.
>One is the one I'm using now which is currently dual boot RH9/Windows
>98.  It's connected to the Internet via cable modem (RCA) and has a
>static IP address.
>
>What I would like to do is install RH9 on a second computer, have a
>private LAN with the two machines, so that files/printers can be
>shared.  I would also like them to share my Internet connection without
>having to obtain a second static IP address from my ISP.  I am not a
>network guru by any means, so I've been reading up on the subject, and
>it seems there are several different ways this could be done.  What I am
>thinking would be the simplest way is this:
>
>1) Establish the LAN using private IP addresses and a hub.
>
>2) Connect the hub to the cable modem.
>
>3) Connect to the Internet directly from the Linux box, then configure
>the Windoze box to use the Linux box as a proxy server so I can surf the
>web from the Windoze box (all my email etc. will go to the Linux box).
>
>Is this workable?  Is it the simplest way to do what I want or is there
>a better way?
>
>Also, if I want to share my printer between the two machines, in you
>guys' experience is it better/simpler to hang the printer off the
>Windows box or the Linux box?
>
>Thanks,
>Lee
>

>--