Jason Dixon wrote:
On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 11:46, Phil Campaigne wrote:

Jason Dixon wrote:

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 11:04, Phil Campaigne wrote:

Ken,
Thanks for your reply. I checked and found that your recommended entry was already in the lpd.perms file on the print serving machiner but not on the remote machine submitting the print request. I added the following entry into that machine to match the print server entry:

# allow local job submissions only
#REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER

The bad news is that I still get the same error,
Printer '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' - cannot open connection - Connection timed out

when I submit the following command line print request from 192.168.1.2
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# lpr [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- home/phil/3465317ExtremePerformanceTuning.pdf

Any other ideas?

Firewall?

Jason,
Thanks for your reply. I have a router with network address translation. But I can ping the print serving machine from the requesting machine.

ICMP is only one of many networking protocols.  Do you have iptables
running on 192.168.1.4?  Perhaps the firewall is blocking TCP/UDP
traffic to your lpd port.

Hi Jason,
I'd like to check out your suggestion, but I don't know how to determine if iptables are running on 192.168.1.4, nor do I know how to determine if "the firewall is blocking TCP/UDP traffic to the lpd port.

Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
Phil