On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 06:30, Bret Hughes wrote:
> It will be interesting to see if this trend continues in
> the wake of all the redhat-config-* tools that make it pretty easy to
> get a box going even though it may be mis-configured and potentially
> less secure than it ought to be.  Of course that is not to say I haven't
> been able to mis-configure a box from the command line.

Even with all the GUI tools, I still find it easier, faster and more
efficient to do it all from the terminal/console - and being I'd much
rather know EVERYTHING that happens and WHY, blindly clicking on boxes
doesn't suit my style. For a GUI I prefer Webmin - a swiss-army-knife
that takes care of so much more with so much less...and then you don't
even have to be near the box in question to take care of it...ditto with
VNC...

Plus, there is a particular "magic" of administering a box at a console
from the "end user's perspective" - especially if they're sitting next
to you whilst it's being done...

--
Thu Aug 21 08:30:01 EST 2003
 08:30:01 up 3 days, 10:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.19, 0.22, 0.16