On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 23:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Let me say upfront that I like Linux in general, and RedHat in particular.
>  And (heresy!) I like MS products.
>
> 2 questions:
> -- what about the architectural/accounting package?

The company that sold it to us installed it on the network without a
hitch, without a flaw - it appears to be working slightly faster than
what they're used to; they want to experiment with another linux box as
a server again in the next month. This company has, in the past, sold
rather beefy boxes w/ Windows2000 AS, Exchange, SQL, IIS - so in seeing
that this box literally acted the same, their eyes got opened a bit; and
they're quite happy with the entire process - no hoops had to be jumped
through on their end. They're also quite happy that they can access this
server via remote with no special tools - access to Webmin and VNC are
more than what they could/would have expected...

> -- who will maintain the OS and other various software updates?

The server is scripted for backing itself up - to CDRW and to another HD
(the critical data, the mail and the shared network documents); support
and administration done remotely - the server is a gateway by which I
can VNC to each of the client workstations if the need arises; the admin
on site has access to Webmin and a desktop via VNC on the server; one
physical visit per month; all antivirus packages are setup to
automagically update themselves - I will personally do the OS updates
either in person or via remote. Contract is for one day per month - less
than the time I've spent there in the past.

The admin is rather "clue-ey" and could very well take over doing the
"up2date" herself - which would be even better.

--
Thu Aug 21 08:10:00 EST 2003
 08:10:00 up 3 days, 10:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.11, 0.06