up2date does not delete old kernels from /boot or /usr/src, it
continually adds them and that is what happened to the person who
started this thread.  Those of us who also experiment with other
archives besides RH are used to manually removing and adding kernels and
don't usually have this particular problem, but there is another aspect
to removing with rpm's and that is it completely removes source and all
other stuff and if you don't want do that and just want to remove the
old kernel from grub and /boot you might consider doing it manually.