On Friday 22 August 2003 03:17 pm, Cliff Wells wrote:
<snip>
> As an aside, I am a bit curious:  if you are running, say Evolution
> under WindowMaker (with perhaps a WindowMaker-style theme to make it
> look pretty), do you *really* see any performance gain?

In my experience, Yes. I run KMail, Mozilla, Konqueror all kind of KDE stuff,
tried Evolution but don't use it regularly. I use FVWM. In my cases, running
it in FVWM is faster and snappier, *after* it has started.
What I mean it, for example like KMail, first time running it in FVWM, it's
probably as slow as loading it in KDE (or sometime a tad slower), since most
"KDE init stuff" is not yet initialized, but after it run, switching virtual
desktops, raising/lowering window, is definitely faster. Especially if you
run on "slow machine", it's more apparent.

A friend of mine used to run KDE on Pentium II 300 Mhz 128 MB RAM. Running
openoffice, Kmail, Galeon (with some tabs) can something make the machine
like crawling, especially when lowering or raising windows. I switched her to
FVWM (with FVWM-Themes), and the machine is really snappy right now (plus she
can run more stuff).

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja