On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:56, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 8/23/2003 10:13 +0200, you wrote:
> >The problem with your WAV files is not that they contain sparse
> >blocks. If they did, they would not sound good, because you would hear
> >every blank block. And since they are listed as 20 times the original
> >size, you would hear a lot of "silence", and each of them would play
> >for several hours. ;) But as you've mentioned, two arbitrary "1GB
> >songs" still sound good.
> >
> >Just out of curiousity, what do you get when you gzip such a huge
> >file, transfer it to another machine and gunzip it?
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.
>
> Didn't have another Linux machine at hand, so I gzipped it (took all of six
> seconds) and transferred the compressed file (down from 1.18GB to an
> expected 53MB) to another drive. Gunzipping the file resulted again in a
> 1.18GB file.
>
> Color me baffled.

Sorry, I'm joining this thread way after the fact.  The only thing I'll
mention is that I *have* seen certain applications zero out a very large
filesize in preparation for filling up that space with a series of
chunks.  Bit-torrent is the *perfect* example of that.  Say you start to
download a 500M ISO image.  It breaks it into chunks so it can perform
parallel downloads from multiple clients.  Even though the total
download at any one time may only be a fraction of that size, the file
is reserved at its maximum size.  I don't know how it does it, but it
does.  :)

Does this sound like a possibility?

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE