On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:12:59PM +0700, Achmad Mardiansyah wrote:
> the server distro that i mean is a distro that enough secure to
> run. i have try RH 7.2 and RH8.0 but the package is very easy to
> hack. (apache, wu ftpd, samba, etc).

Redhat is very good about issuing free patches for known exploits.  Be
sensible about how you configure things, keep your installation up to
date, and Redhat can be quite secure.

The reason for getting one of the more expensive Redhat enterprise
distributions is that Redhat says they will issue security updates for
much longer for them.  It can be disruptive to have to install a new
OS version on a server that is running fine, but it is worse to not
have security updates.  You must keep any distribution up to date, and
Redhat is a nice server distribution if you keep it up to date

-kb

P.S.  For an MTA, you might want to use Postfix instead of Sendmail.
Both are part of Redhat these days.  Depending on you paranoia, you
also might want to use something other than Bind for DNS, Maradns
being a candidate.  Maradns is not part of Redhat, but I know it runs
well under Redhat 7.3.