-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:redhat-list-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sasa Stupar
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 6:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Two OS - boot?

Cowles, Steve pravi:

Sasa Stupar wrote:

The thing is that I still want to be able to boot any of the systems
independently. This means I want to leave intact the MBR of each

disk.

I use a slightly different approach to dual booting. Maybe it will

work for

you.

I have linux installed on one hard drive with grub installed in MBR

and W2K

installed on the other harddrive with its boot loader installed in

MBR. If I

want to boot to linux, I set my systems BIOS boot order to "C-

Drive". If I

want to boot to W2K, I set my systems BIOS boot order to "D-Drive".

Works

great!

The keys to success (at least with my motherboard):

1) I installed each OS without knowledge of the other harddrive.

i.e. I

removed the cables so the BIOS only saw one harddrive. Then after

both OS's

were loaded...

2) Linux/grub harddrive cabled/jumpered as master on the primary IDE

bus.

3) W2K harddrive cabled/jumpered as master on the secondary IDE bus.

4) Now go into BIOS and change boot order to C -or- D drive.

Note: Since Windows/W2K (in my case) does not understand the linux

ext2/3

filesystem type , it will try to mount the linux harddrive at bootup

and

cause some major disk thrashing while attempting to do so. To fix

this

problem, I had to disable the linux harddrive in device manager.

Steve Cowles

This is how I have done it. But to avoid constantly changing in the BIOS I have made also a bootdiskette for linux.

Thank you all guys for answers.