On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 13:10, Peter Fleck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following are two entries from our /var/log/messages file and I'm
> wondering about the 'authentication failure' part. This seems to
> happen with every login, at least remote, although the user logs in
> normally with no problem. Can we change some setting to make this go
> away?
>
> Thanks.

As far as I know the only way is to either downgrade the sshd rpm from
the latest released by redhat or install the one from openssh.org.

There are a couple of bugs at bugzilla.redhat.com regarding this but the
guy responsible does not seem to care about false failure messages.  I
found that unacceptable and installed the openssh rpms on some of my
machines and left the old rom in place on others.  I forget the RH
versions that made it hard to do the openssh stuff.

Since I only pay for one copy of rh each release and then run it
(significantly customized) on about 45 machines I did not feel like I
had the right to try and escalate the issue past the guy that maintains
the rpm.  Sort of pissed a few folks off though.

I think it is a function of how many people actually look at the logs
and complain, not many I guess.

If there is a fix as well as stopping the login delay on a successful
logins (where is the information leakage there?) I would like to know
about it since I really like to keep the installation on my 4 servers as
stock as possible.

Bret