On 05 Sep 2003 16:30:03 -0500
Bret Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 13:10, Peter Fleck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following are two entries from our /var/log/messages file and I'm
> > wondering about the 'authentication failure' part. This seems to
> > happen with every login, at least remote, although the user logs in
> > normally with no problem. Can we change some setting to make this go
> > away?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> As far as I know the only way is to either downgrade the sshd rpm from
> the latest released by redhat or install the one from openssh.org.
>
> There are a couple of bugs at bugzilla.redhat.com regarding this but the
> guy responsible does not seem to care about false failure messages.  I
> found that unacceptable and installed the openssh rpms on some of my
> machines and left the old rom in place on others.  I forget the RH
> versions that made it hard to do the openssh stuff.
>
> Since I only pay for one copy of rh each release and then run it
> (significantly customized) on about 45 machines I did not feel like I
> had the right to try and escalate the issue past the guy that maintains
> the rpm.  Sort of pissed a few folks off though.
>
> I think it is a function of how many people actually look at the logs
> and complain, not many I guess.
>
> If there is a fix as well as stopping the login delay on a successful
> logins (where is the information leakage there?) I would like to know
> about it since I really like to keep the installation on my 4 servers as
> stock as possible.

Hey Bret,

You can add the "nodelay" option in /etc/pam.d/system-auth:

auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nodelay

I do have a one line source change that removes the need for
the above, has zero information leak, and still presents a delay if
someone types a password incorrectly.  The patch makes the
sshd_config option "PermitEmptyPasswords" more meaningful when
set to "no".  (ie. sshd no longer asks pam if the user can log in without
a password).   Nobody seems interested in the patch upstream though.
If you'd like an updated RPM let me know.

Cheers,
Sean