Lorenzo Prince wrote:

Sorry for starting a new thread in your mail client that supports threading. Unfortunately I deleted the previous message regarding mkfs before I went to the laptop and tried it. The mkfs command returns a warning that states that /dev/sda is an entire device instead of a single partition and asks if I want to proceed. If I press y it seems to work fine, so I don't know what it is doing. It almost looks like it's seeing the floppy as a hard drive.

Yes the usb mas storage driver goes thru the scsi subsystem. So every thing is a scsi disc, cdrom, or a scsi generic device.

I recommend putting something in your /etc/fstab like this: /dev/sda /mnt/usb auto noauto,owner 0 0

Now "mount /mnt/usb" should work.

However when I first plugged the drive into the computer and booted it, it mounted with the following command:

mount /mnt/floppy

Am I missing some special property of these drives or something?
Thanks.

Possibly you have legacy usb support enabled in your motherboard bios. When you boot the usb might be being emulated as a normal floppy. I know this works with usb keyboards, and mice. Certainly this works under dos when I boot from usb floppy. (I've never seen this under linux, but I never thought to check.) If this is true then the key is booting with the usb floppy in the system.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)