Lorenzo Prince wrote:

Samuel Flory staggered into view and mumbled:

Try "mkdosfs /dev/sda".

I get a strange error stating mkdosfs will not try to make filesystem on /dev/sda.

This seems to be a bug in mkdosfs. I've seen this as well, but didn't really look at it to closely as I've only got the one 16M memory stick that came with my camera. (16M just isn't big enough for my photo needs.) I suspect that the device is failing some sort of test. I've not looked at the mkdosfs source.

with a camera memory I use for data transfer.

cat /dev/sda > flop
mkdosfs flop
cat flop >/dev/sda

This seems to work, and the files I add afterword are readable after unmounting and remounting /mnt/floppy. But will this work on a previously unformatted disk?

It seems work on the memory stick which had a partition table and partitions on it. As far as working on an unformated floppy. All the floppies I get are already dos formated;-)

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)