On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:44:24 -0700
Ian L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 04:38 PM 9/8/2003, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:31:47 -0700
> >Ian L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > i have the following line in my /etc/fstab file:
> > >
> > > /dev/hdb1               /traces                 ext3    defaults        1 2
> > >

> > > however, this partition always fails to mount at boot up. I think the
> > error
> > > message says wrong fstype, bad superblock or some other error.
> > >
> > > however, after the machine boots up i can go to the prompt and do:
> > >
> > > mount /dev/hbd1 /traces
> > >
> > > and that works fine. Anyone have any ideas why it fails to mount at boot?
> > >

> >You've explicitly set the filesystem type to ext3 in your
> >fstab.   You'll see the same error as on boot if you try
> >the command "mount /traces".
> >
> >When you give the command "mount /dev/hdb1 /traces"
> >the fstab is not consulted.  Instead, mount tries to detect the
> >proper filesystem.  You can change your fstab to the proper
> >filesystem type or to the value "auto".  To test that the change
> >is working properly before reboot use "mount /traces".
> >
> >Sean
>
> It should be ext3. Is there some way i can check which file system it is?

Hi Ian,

 It's likely being mounted as ext2.   Perhaps your ext3 module is not
being loaded properly?

 To find out how it's being mounted to:

mount /dev/hdb1 /traces
mount

The second mount will show you what filesystem was
automatically detected.

If it your filesystem is ext3 but is being mounted with ext2 by
mistake you can try  "insmod ext3"  before trying the mount.
You may need the "-t ext3" option on the mount command line.

After loading the ext3 module you should be able to mount
it as an ext3 filesystem.

Cheers,
Sean