On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 05:09, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> Just a quick question. If I run smbclient and NFS client (mount to another NFS
> server) in my workstation, do I need to open up a hole in the firewall?
>
> It seems that I can mount it and make it work, but I got logs saying that
> there are packages dropped from the NFS server.
>
> I am using shorewall (upon recommendations from this list), and I've read the
> FAQ, Start up guide, but still don't quite get the concept yet. I think if
> they talk about being a SMB server and NFS server, but I'm not sure.

Since you are talking about managing your iptables configuration via
shorewall you should probably ask your question on that list....but....

Yes, both the samba protocols as well as the NFS protocols require that
a given set of ports be opened on your firewall.  The ports in question
are all listed in the shorewall documentation.  In what area do you need
clarification?

You seem to be saying that everything is working but you are getting
dropped packet logs.  It would probably be helpful if you posted the log
entries.

Ed

--
http://www.shorewall.net       Shorewall, for all your firewall needs