At 08:38 9/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> Take a look at your policy file in shorewall.  It most likely has a
> policy of "fw  loc   ACCEPT".  This takes care of all client needs.

Okay, this clear things up. I use the default one from the shorewall package,
and it has fw net ACCEPT

I assume it provides the similar effect.

Take a look at your /etc/shorewall/interfaces file, and you will see which interfaces are in which zones. If your client machine has only one network interface, and that interface is in the "net" zone, then a policy of "fw net ACCEPT" will allow any outgoing connection from your machine to anywhere.

If, however, you have two interfaces (say, one to your home network and one to the Internet), then one will likely be in the "net" zone and the other in the "loc" (local) zone; in that case, you might need to add the "fw loc ACCEPT policy" as well.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]