Ed Wilts wrote:

Note, however, that you may be better off getting an Intel system. They're cheap, and unless you've got something like a DS10 that's being freed up, you'll find that that the Intel systems will easily outperform the Alpha for many applications.

I installed RH7 on an ES40 a couple of months ago. It easily outperformed any x86 box I've come across. The ES40 is a fairly high-end unit, it has several CPUs clocked at modest speeds, but very well sorted out IO capabilities which is what makes it fly.

HP say the Alpha is dead. Instead, they are promoting the Itanic,
a chip with no installed base to speak of, and a chip that no one
wants.