On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 07:42, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:51, Pablo Rodriguez Gonzalez wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> >
> > Yes I can, but maybe I can't speak English very well :-)
> >
> > I know, that running Windows XP from VMware, I must use its own set of
> > drivers, yes.
> >
> > But this is running from VMware, and that is the reason because I want
> > a real installation of Windows XP, to boot Windows XP without VMware
> > too, to use the Geforce drivers. The only thing I want is to boot that
> > real Windows XP installatio, from VMware, running VMware native
> > graphics driver, but boot the REAL installation.
> >
> > And again, apologizes for my English. More clear?
> >

> I believe your English was very clear in the first place.
>
> What you want is to....
>
> A.  Boot your system into Linux.
>
> B.  Start VMware
>
> C.  Have VMWare boot the "real" installation of XP and use the Video
> Hardware directly.
>
> Step C is not possible.  That is outside of the abilities of VMware.

I was hoping someone else would speak up and correct you, but this
hasn't happened yet.  Ed, YOU are WRONG.  This can be done.  I've been
using raw disk vmware setups with VMWare on dual-boot systems for
years.  It looks like their documentation for 4.x is hidden now, but
it's still there:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/disks_dualboot_ws.html#1046312

There are known issues with certain configurations, and it only supports
IDE disks, but it WORKS.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting