For a couple of thousand bucks or so, it's a per user
license, you can always
use Acrobat Distiller Server software to convert Postscript
to pdf and it
runs on Solaris, LINUX, and Windows and has the directory
autoscanner you seek. I am currently running it on WinNT,
plan to move it to Linux or Solaris
in the near future. It works the way you want it to, at
least under windows.
I briefly checked the Sun/Linux doc, it can run as a
pipeline filter as well.
If all else fails, have the web app drop the files into an
incoming directory
and have a cron script scan the directory for aged files and
process them accordingly
to an outgoing directory. You  can probably craft something
up along the same lines
with scripts and ps2pdf instead of using Distiller

My Windows Distiller setup is one master distiller
directory, a sub directory for each user
on the system and one IN and OUT subfolders under each user
directory. The users
pop their PS files into the IN folder, distiller scans all
the user IN folders every  15 seconds
and pumps out the PDF files for each IN folder entry into
the OUT folder.

Pifer
>  Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 6:02 PM
>  To: RedHat List
>  Subject: RE: PDF Converter on Linux/Redhat
>

>  Sorry for the late delay. Lost my d*** internet
connection. Anyway...

>  I got a little more information. The web application
sticks
>  files in a
>  directory that need to be converted, like a before
directory
>  . So I need
>  a converter to periodically check that directory, convert
>  the files, and
>  stick them in another directory, like an after directory.
>
>  The application itself does not call a printer or print
driver.
>  Unfortunately it's not something that I could easily
change either.