On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:38:55 +0200
Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > AFAIK bridging isn't an option on wireless, at least not for
> > this kind of relay network, if it were then it would be possible
> > to treat all the nodes as a single segment with no need for
> > layer 3 routing.  But then again the subject line did suggest a
> > routing question not a wireless question ;o)
>
> my experience with wireless networks aren't that big either, and
> that's why I put this question here. The subject line was chosen
> from my networking experience.
>
> What kind of bridging are you mentioning here? Is it possible to
> make this network work without having to get into complex routing
> tables?

Hi Asbjørn,

Just meant generic layer-2 bridging so that you didn't have to worry
about network layer routing.   Was really thinking out loud and
hadn't thought it through completely.  Anyway, I seem to recall that
there is a limitation on most(all?) wireless cards which precludes
their use in a bridging setup.  The more i think about this option
the more complex it seems.

As for the routing setup i outlined you're right that it is a tad
complex, but it in the end it seems pretty straight forward.  To get
started you could make all the routing tables static and only add
the routing protocols/daemons later to improve reliability.  You
could test everything out with a few desktops and/or laptops to make
sure you had it sorted out before you tried to implement it over any
real distances.

Anyway, if you pursue this or a different option it would be great
to hear from you on your progress and success.

Good luck,
Sean