On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:20:48 -0700
Mike Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Given that sendmail.cf is by most sane individuals generated via the
> file sendmail.mc, what is the impact of updating sendmail via rhnupdate
> when I only get a sendmail.cf.rpmnew instead of a sendmail.mc.rpmnew?
>
> Seems like I might be missing some crucial sendmail parms for
> security/etc. I certainly don't want to be backporting cf changes into
> an mc file. My sendmail book is like 3' thick...and I'm not worthy.

Hi Mike,

rhn up2date is based on rpm package management.   rpm is pretty smart
about upgrading your system.   It knows what files are configuration files
that have been modified by you.   In order to preserve your changes it
does not overwrite configuration files that you've changed.   It will add
the ".rpmnew" extension to the new file or save your current file with
".rpmsave".   Either way it will ensure you don't lose work, but you may
have to do some tweaking after the upgrade.

Cheers,
Sean