At 10:03 AM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I really hate to suggest this, but perhaps you might consider
>purcashing another one of those $1.95 versions from www.cheapbytes.com, as
>I really do think you have a case of bad media.

Since there's a shipping charge, too, tack on an additional $5.00! I'm
planning to write to CheapBytes, about their possible distribution of a bad
CD...once we have some more info. I don't really want to cause any undo panic.

>Can you try this CDROM on a friends machine?

I have a client with spare empty partitions, on whose system I can give it
a go. But I won't be able to do so, until this Sunday.  That is the only
day I can access his computer, as the other days he is usually working at
home, using the computer for his business.

>Can you send me one of the
>packages you know are bad, and I'll try it here?  (preferrably not one
>that is more than 500k :)

You must have an ISDN connection!

I can send you several of the packages that wouldn't install...totaling 2.6
MB. Though perhaps the script error was not in the package, but in the
script or executable designed to install them. The four packages I'm
sending you, were all failed installs, like so:

        RMP install of bash failed execution of script failed
        RMP install of binutils failed execution of script failed
        RMP install of gzip failed execution of script failed
        RMP install of kbd failed execution of script failed

Of course, I don't know where this "script error" could be...and may only
be in a single executable which installs the many packages in /Rpms. (Or,
it may be a damaged pressing of the CD.) Anyway, let's see what's up with
these I sent.

---
My web site kicks (but never licks) butt!
http://ezekielk.simplenet.com/