It's your system...you can install it where you want.  With some programs,
you may want to install them in certain directories so that they are already
contained in your path statement.

Marco

I am installing MySQL on my Redhat 4.2 Linux system. I am not sure where I
should be installing additional software like MySQL, Netscape, etc...

I don' know which of the following locations would is best. Any advice?

/usr/local/
/usr/local/etc
/usr/local/src
/usr/local/bin