On Thu, 07 May 1998, Webmaster wrote:

>I don' know which of the following locations would is best. Any advice?
>
>/usr/local/
>/usr/local/etc
>/usr/local/src
>/usr/local/bin

/usr/local is the canonical place to install such things (anything not
provided on the base installation).

Another possibility is /opt, which is getting more standardized all the
time.

Now, /usr/local is just like /usr in other respects, so binaries go in
/usr/local/bin, associated man pages in /usr/local/man, and sources in
/usr/local/src, and so forth.

However, many packages have "support files" ; files that are needed in
some way by the executable and aren't one of the above, and typically
those end up in either /usr/lib/<package-name> or
/usr/local/lib/<package-name>.