On Tue, 12 May 1998, Alexei Nefediev wrote:

> >     Is it just me, or do Western Digital drives fail as much for everyone
> > else as they do for me.  I've had to replace the same 1.2 gig drive three
> > times in the last year.  I just replaced this drive (via RMA) about two
> > weeks ago...it's failed before I could send the old one in!  Sure, getting a
> > new drive every six months or so is good thing (I guess) but I'd rather not
> > have to do that.  :)
> >     So, basically, I'm about ready to give up on WD drives...  What I would
> > like to know from the rest of you is what would be a good IDE drive to drop
> > in its place?  They're all pretty cheap these days so price isn't really an
> > issue...I'm looking for a reliable IDE drive.  Something I could shoot,
> > throw off a building, immerse in salt water, etc, etc, etc....
> >

> Still WD is a good firm. I think that you are unlucky as the series of HDD
> your ones belong to is bad. I heard smth about such troubles. I was said
> that there is a list of bad series on the WD site. Check it. I think that
> there will be no problems if you buy another model. As far as I understand
> 1.2G HDD's are not produced at the moment. I use WD Caviar 3.2G and I'm
> quite happy with it. It's been working for half a year without any
> problems.
>
> Alexei
>

> --

I also had two 1.2 gig WD drives fail in quick sucession.  Replaced one
with the 1.6 gig model, no troubles since.  Lose the 1.2 gigs, they are
evil mean and nasty...

W. Matthew Warnock, Attorney at Law  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Tel: (408) 778-7273
60 West Main Ave. Ste. 12-A, Morgan Hill CA  95037       Fax: (408) 778-7989