I had a WD 31600 crap out on me: nasty chunk-chunk-chunk sound of heads
thrashing back and forth...that's when I learned to back up my system :-0
I asked around and found that three other guys here at work had the same
model of WD drive fail. Whats worse is that when I shipped the drive back
under an RMA and got nothing back for > 8 weeks, WD support claimed that
their new tracking system had erased all RMAs and that they would be happy
to re-enter mine...boo, hiss...

My $.02...

Deke