I posted a message a couple days ago with the subject line:

     Crash after "kernel:  Unable to load interpreter"

I may have figured out what happened.  Last night while running Netscape, I
noticed a couple short load spikes as I had the previous evening.  I went
into another window and started poking.  Ran "free" and noticed nearly all
my swap was used.  I have 64M memory and about 55M swap, so I *never* use
all my swap unless something goofy is going on.

"top" told me that Netscape was using over 90M of memory!

I shut down Netscape and after *much* disk activity, everything settled, I
was using a realistic amount of memory and swap, and I observed no load
spikes.

I have no earthly idea why Netscape (netscape-communicator-4.04-3 RPM)
would suddenly start consuming memory when it hasn't done this before, but
oh well.

I also found my error message in /usr/src/linux/fs/binfmt_elf.c -- it's the
complaint given when the Linux kernel is unable to mmap in the appropriate
ELF interpreter.  Another hint that the problem was running out of swap. My
guess would be that my load spike was the swap process thrashing.

          Thoughts anyone?

                          Eddie

P.S.  Is there a swap alarm available?  It'd be nice to have some warning
that swap was about to be exhausted!

--
  Eddie Kuns  |  School: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--------------/  URL:  http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~ekuns/