Maybe this will help.  I've done this with floppies.  Should work with
hard drives also.

>From a terminal window type:

mkfs -tmdos /dev/hdx  <-- your hard drive to format.

You should already have msdos filesystem compiled into your kernel and I
believe mkfs is in the /sbin directory.

Give it a shot.  Works on my floppies :D

Frank

I plan to remove a harddrive from my linux box and move it
to an old  Win95 box.

I understand that I need to

a: run fdisk [ inlinux] and change format to DOS.

b: I need to reformat the disk [ using Linux ]

   BUT... I don't know what command to use.

c: after moving to the DOS/ Win95 box I need to
   fdisk it [using MS DOS] and reformat it  in MS DOS.

Can anyone tell me the command to use to
format the hard drive for MS DOS [ using Linux] ?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
--
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.