>> Kind-of makes Linux worthless.  :)
>
>Calm down Glen.

Ahem.  OK! I, ur, a, mean, ok.

>I have a serious question.

Glad to answer!

>Windows allows you to do this.

Specifically, I own 5 domains that reside on outside servers (not on my ISP
nor on my box, and 5 subdomains, all of which reside on my box (one as a
virtual domain, the other 4 as cnames).  Windows using Outlook Express
allows me to change the From: field of all my outgoing email to read from
whichever domain I'm administering at the time and therefore need to show
the same domain on the return email address. I can do this from my home
Windows95 computer - freely change the From: field so it's accurate to the
domain I'm administering. For example:

My ISP is uswest.net.  My email address through them is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
But if I'm responding to a letter from someone who has written to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] I don't want to use [EMAIL PROTECTED] as my return
email address. I can from my home computer using Windows95 through my
uswest.net dialup ISP account show a return address of
[EMAIL PROTECTED] instead (real slick, huh?).  I can do the same for
all of the 5 domains and 5 subdomains I use, modify the From: field to
reflect whichever email address of the aforementioned domains I need to
use at the time even though I'm sending the mail through my uswest.net
ISP.

>OK. But how is this different to using
>Sendmail to SMTP up to your ISP and you ISP relaying it on,

My home Linux box has several users on board, mostly family members.  To
send outgoing mail through my ISP my username/machine_id has to match my
dialup account. If it doesn't I get a "we do not relay" rejection message.
I can set up Sendmail.cf to forward all outgoing mail to my ISP, but
unless the machine outgoing ID matches the uswest.net system my mail is
killed before it gets out the front door.  To fix this we use a thing
called envelope masquerading.  This forces all outgoing mail, no matter
from which user or from which virtual domain, to be stripped from the
actual user/virtual_domain to instead read from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The mail goes through fine. However, from this end ALL outgoing mail is
now forced to read from [EMAIL PROTECTED], no matter how my internal
configuration is set up - 100 users, 50 virtual domains, it doesn't
matter, as ALL outgoing letters show as from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To fix this so I have the same freedom to modify the From: field and
remotely administer my various domains without being forced to drive to
Nevada, California, or Texas, and physically send the letters from those
computers which host my domains, so the return email address matches the
domain I'm administering, I have instead chosen to bypass my ISP and use
my local Linux box as my MTA.  My actual machine ID is mpls.uswest.net.
My username on this machine is glenlee, so my real email address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] However, if you will notice, by setting this box
up as its own MTA I'm able to send email from here with the return address
of [EMAIL PROTECTED]  This is the virtual domain that sits on my
box, and is the email address I use for all my list subscriptions.  This
setup bypasses the need for fetchmail as mail is sent directly to my box,
not to my ISP's mail server or to the mail server on one of my remotely
hosted domains.

>and Fetchmail to
>POP and sort into different mailboxes on the way back?

Incoming mail isn't the problem here.  Using the virtual domain for lists
brings my incoming mail into my PCimmediately from when it leaves the
lists. This is for convenience only, as uswest.net has been known to sit
on mail for awhile before it gets dropped into my inbox. There's a much
quicker turn-around this way.

The outgoing mail configuration is the problem.  I need to be able to
modify my From: field on outgoing mail so I can conduct business remotely
from here.  The setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] and mail-abuse.org/dul are
requiring I use forces ALL outgoing mail from this box for ALL users to
read from [EMAIL PROTECTED], basically turning Linux (a cadillac
operating system) into a one email, no domains box (a go-cart).

I'll be happy to answer any more questions.

Glen