On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Steven Hildreth wrote:

> Ok mixed termniology, you are calling patch panels what we call "stab
> down blocks", I am talking about a panel with a row of RJ45 connectors
> that are all connected together (like a double row of each about 50
> RJ's all shorted together) this is what we refer to as "patch panels"
> and I have yet figured out what the usefullness is.
>
> We have approx. 85 workstations all using CAT5, all run into a room
> and then terminated into "stab down blocks" then the active
> terminations are then wired into the hub using another piece (on the
> other side of the "stab down block") into the hub, all the hubs are
> linked together via the uplink.
>
> I was just wondering about the "patch panels" (as I described above).

A patch panel is really something that takes bare with on the one side and
allows connection of some kind of modular connector to that wire. This is
not limited to computer wiring or even phones, there are such things as
audio patch panels that have RCA jacks on the front among many other
things.

In networking circles, a typical patch panel as what is called a 110-style
punchdown on the back with RJ45 jacks on the front.

Benefits:

1) Cables are nice and organized and can be labelled very efficiently.

2) The wire runs are stablized, which means the life of the cable is much
better. One can use solid core wire which handles the signal better, but
doesn't like to be bent as often. Patch cables are typically made of
stranded wire because it handles the frequent bending better, even though
there is additional signal loss (very small relatively speaking, I've done
long runs with stranded wire with no ill affects).

3) With a patch panel I can run a single 50 pair CAT5 cable rather than 6
individual cables (assuming 8 pair). This is not typically done, however,
because the 50 pair is why too expensive.

I'm sure there are more benefits, which is way any installation of more
than 5-10 machines ends up with a patch panel setup.

Bill Carlson