12x3 and 14x3 are shorthand descriptions for two types of electrical wire.
The first number specifies the diameter (gauge) of non-ferrous (usually
copper) wire using AWG (American Wire Gauge) units; 12 gauge wire is 2.0mm
in diameter and 14 gauge wire is 1.60mm.  The second number specifies the
number of conducting wires in a cable, not including the safety ground, or
earth, wire.  Both types, I believe, can be used for 230 VAC (the 12x2
certainly can be), though most common applications in the U.S. are for
115-120 VAC circuits.