On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 08:50:27PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
:       I don't agree that you have to store the passwords on the server
: in clear text.  I've got one server with APOP configured and it stores
: hashes.  They are different hashes from the normal password hashes, so
: you have to have a different database for APOP, but it's not storing clear
: text passwords.  Administratively it really sucks to maintain the separate
: password databases and changing passwords is a royal hassle.

APOP by nature requires you to have clear passwords on the server side.
The container isn't necessarily a text file, but they passwords have to be
clear, otherwise when you MD5() them, you won't get the proper result..
Qpopper stores them inside a dbm database.

:       You can also go with imaps (SSL encrypted imap) or pop3s (SSL
: encrypted pop3).  I'm not sure about Eudora, but Netscape (all platforms),
: OutLook (LookOut?) and Exchange all support one or both.  On the Linux
: end, Mutt has support for one of them and I did the SSL patches for Fetchmail
: that are now in the main sources.

Yes, I know of imaps, but there's not nearly enough support for it..
Netscape Mail makes me wretch, and Lookout or Lookout Express make me
wretch on multiple levels...

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.