Well, there's a couple things here to keep in mind.  First, when you
set the system time, all you're doing is setting the SOFTWARE clock,
which of course gets it's time initially from the hardware on boot.
You can set the hardware clock from the SOFTWARE clock.  "man hwclock"
However, there are known timezone issues, and you may or may not have
the system configured to have the hardware clock set to GMT.

I for example, use the hw clock set to GMT, and the software clock
uses my timezone offset to display the real time.  However, if I use
the hwclock routine to try and set the hw clock, it forgets to apply
the offset and sets it wrong.  It seems the right way to set the
hw clock is to actually go through BIOS when you do a reboot.  That
will guarantee that you avoid these zone issues and the known bugs.
Thus I just take the real time, account for daylight savings, and
apply my zone offset to get the GMT time to plug into the hw clock
when I boot to BIOS setup.  Then when I boot Linux, everything is
correct.

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"