* Todd A. Jacobs ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [991215 12:53]:

> On 14 Dec 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > clock, and date, and while each of these will set my system clock when
> > I execute them, the time will not survive a reboot.  My system clock

> The tool you want is '/usr/sbin/setclock' which you can find out about
> with 'man setclock'. Running '/sbin/clock -w' should do the same thing,
> but man 5 clock doesn't exist on my system, nor have I been able to find
> it elsewhere, making that method effectively undocumented, as far as I'm
> concerned.

As noted in another post, I use hwclock as well.

> One other point I should mention: on my system, '/sbin/clock -ru' reports
> UTC incorrectly, and rebooting seems to throw off the system clock by
> about 30 minutes, despite accurate CMOS time.

One thing you may want to look for.  If you've ever run ntpd (or
xntpd) it sets a file (/etc/adjtime).  If there is a network delay
when that particular program was checking the time, it adds this delay
to that file.  The file is also read upon rebooting.

That may be where your inaccuracy is.

> I recommend running rdate followed by setclock as part of your daily
> system maintenance to keep everything in sync despite any weirdness
> that may exist on your system.

Good idea.  Cron *IS* a friend.  :)

Happy Holidays,

Merell
--
Merell L. Matlock, Jr.         When crypto is outlawed, only outlaws
Linux#:  149839                and politicians will have crypto.

Microsoft:  What do you want to be infected with today?