I have no real suggestions there but I can testify the
same kind of behaviour with the network setting during
the bootup phase as well. It looks like it is coming
from the fact that it tries to access DNS somehow before realizing the network is not
up yet so it gives up with DNS. (well, this is just a feeling
I have about what is happenning).

There are a couple of pbs like that this the redhat boot up.
Like setting up an alias for your eht0 when using DHCP for the
primary IP. If I use the linuxconf stuff to do this, it will try to
setup the alias during the bootup which will always fail (no asking me
why), but if I start aliasing manually in the rc.local everything is fine.

Philippe