On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> Pump runs all the time in daemon mode -- this is normal. The CPU usage
> is a bug of some sort. Check bugzilla, there are several reports of
> this.
>
> The only time I personally have had a similar problem is when my
> providers network went down, and my lease expired during the outage.
> This was a problem with my provider, but pump went nuts and started
> consuming a lot of CPU cycles and would not/could not renew the lease
> even after the network was back up. Restarting pump solved this. I
> suppose it was trying to reach the network that was not there and went
> into an infinite loop, but I don't know for sure.

I was consistently having this problem where pump would blow up and
consume 95+% cpu cycles within 24 hours of running. I could not control
the interface when this happens and pump would always fail if i restarted
it. The only fix was to reboot.

I did eventually find a better solution.

rpm -e pump
rpm -i dhcpcd-1.3.17pl5-2.i386.rpm

Additionally, you can modify the /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown scripts and
replace the pump invokations with the dhcpcd equivalents.

This is on RH6.1.

Regards,

Trevor Astrope