On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 02:17:46PM -0700, patrick wrote:
> I don't understand this.  I am running RH 6.1 and
> have pump-0.7.2-2 installed.  I have been running
> setiathome for months and months nonstop as well.
> It usually sits at 80% or higher in CPU usage (with
> nice 19) if I am not really doing much.  For the
> last two days, I have seen that it is sitting at
> about 3% CPU usage and no higher while pump is
> using 45% or higher of the CPU.  Why in the world
> would pump need to use that much of the CPU for
> a prolonged period?  It should only need to run
> for a few seconds at bootup to negotiate/get an
> IP address assigned to my box (DHCP with ADSL
> thru USWest).
>    Can anyone enlighten me as to why pump would need
> to run for such a long time, or even if that is normal,
> why does it use so much of the CPU for such a long
> time?  What do I need to do to fix this?

Pump runs all the time in daemon mode -- this is normal. The CPU usage
is a bug of some sort. Check bugzilla, there are several reports of
this.

The only time I personally have had a similar problem is when my
providers network went down, and my lease expired during the outage.
This was a problem with my provider, but pump went nuts and started
consuming a lot of CPU cycles and would not/could not renew the lease
even after the network was back up. Restarting pump solved this. I
suppose it was trying to reach the network that was not there and went
into an infinite loop, but I don't know for sure.

[...]

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves