On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Hiten Sonpal wrote:

> > > Does anyone know what needs to be done to enable rsh access for root?
> >
> > Yeah, spell it "ssh" instead of "rsh" and you're in business. :-)
>
> I'm basically trying to run rdist here, and I'd like to be able to have it
> run automatically via cron and not have to store the password in some
> file. I guess I don't really care if I use ssh, rsh or tftp... :-)

No problem, then.  I did the same thing earlier this month when I moved my
system from one box (with old bad drives) to another (with new ones).
You can run rdist over ssh if you just set ssh to use rhosts
authentication.

The rdist command looks something like:

rdist   -f distfile \
        -P /usr/local/bin/ssh \
        -l file=rdist.log=notice,nerror,ferror,warning

And check these lines in /etc/sshd_config:

IgnoreRhosts no
RhostsAuthentication yes
AllowSHosts [space-separated list of IP addresses]