On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:12:57PM -0500, Charles Galpin wrote:
> Hi All. this gets a bit long winded, but please bear with me.
>
> The short version is what is the best (most intensive) way to test
> hardware integrity, as well as isolate the exact problem?
>     <snip>
> Well the old mb/cpu/ram combo locked up on me twice already. I ran the
> kernel compile loop on this box as well. It made it overnight, but locked
> up sometime this morning. I ran it again, and this time it locked up in
> just under 3 hours. I am currently running it again with one of the 128MB
> dimms removed.
>
> Nothing in the logs when this occurs.

Thoughts:
--there is a good RAM tester named memtest86. You can find the latest
  version (2.1) at http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86. It
  is a standalone tool, download it, unpack the .tgz archive, insert a
  3.5" HD floppy in /dev/fd0, run "make install-bin" and if successful
  reboot with that floppy in the drive.  Let it run for a few hours
  (overnight isn't a bad idea) to see if it finds any memory problems.
--I have little knowledge, but I've **heard** stories of some Super-7
  motherboards being unstable when running fast K6-II chips. I have, as
  I said little knowledge, but I've also  heard no/few complaints about
  the FIC VA503+ boards, which is why I bought two of them last spring,
  along with K6-II/350 CPUs. So far they've both run like a champ. They
  will supposedly go up to 450 Mhz, though I've obviously not tried it.
--Along that same vein of thought, have you tried backing off a little
  on the CPU clock? I think you said it is running at 450 Mhz, which
  I assume to be 4.5X100 Mhz. you could try backing off to 4X100 or
  4.5X95 to see if underclocking helps its stability. I always figured
  that screaming-fast was wonderful, but only if it also just happened
  to be right!
> So, I'd really like to figure out exactly which component needs
> replacing. I'm guessing it's likely in the order of ram, then cpu, then
> mb? But, I'd also like to be darn sure I test these properly. This really
> needs to be reliable. The last box I setup for my mom turned out to have a
> memory problem - only found out once it was installed and I was trying to
> build something on it. THen lightning took out the modems so I could no
> longer remotely admin it (but that's a whole other problem).
>
> I have also just kicked off a program called memtester
> http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/memtester in the hopes of catching
> a memory problem.

If this is a RAM tester that runs as a user task, I don't see how it could
do a good job since it won't have full access to the entire machine. I'd
recommend memtest86 (see above) or other stand-alone RAM test tool.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He