thanks a bunch Fred

This is the tool I used int he past, but could find again. I will
definately use it! You are right about the user space tester.

My MB is an Apollo MVP something or other (sorry, can't find the manual,
and don't want to interrupt the test

I'll give the cpu clock lowering a try after I talk to the place I bought
it from.

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, fred smith wrote:

> Thoughts:
> --there is a good RAM tester named memtest86. You can find the latest
>   version (2.1) at http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86. It
>   is a standalone tool, download it, unpack the .tgz archive, insert a
>   3.5" HD floppy in /dev/fd0, run "make install-bin" and if successful
>   reboot with that floppy in the drive.  Let it run for a few hours
>   (overnight isn't a bad idea) to see if it finds any memory problems.
> --I have little knowledge, but I've **heard** stories of some Super-7
>   motherboards being unstable when running fast K6-II chips. I have, as
>   I said little knowledge, but I've also  heard no/few complaints about
>   the FIC VA503+ boards, which is why I bought two of them last spring,
>   along with K6-II/350 CPUs. So far they've both run like a champ. They
>   will supposedly go up to 450 Mhz, though I've obviously not tried it.
> --Along that same vein of thought, have you tried backing off a little
>   on the CPU clock? I think you said it is running at 450 Mhz, which
>   I assume to be 4.5X100 Mhz. you could try backing off to 4X100 or
>   4.5X95 to see if underclocking helps its stability. I always figured
>   that screaming-fast was wonderful, but only if it also just happened
>   to be right!

thanks again
charles