At 09:35 AM 01/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all.  Please comment on the following:
>
>We are wanting to replace our current method of backing up our fileserver
>(which is via a tape drive) by making our fileserver redundant.  That is,
>another machine that will be a live mirror of the "in-use" fileserver.  If
>anything on the active fileserver fails, we'd like things to fail-over to
>the redunant server so that the users won't see a single hiccup.
>Our fileservers run RHL 6.1, BTW, with the latest stable kernel (2.2.14 at
>present).
>
>Where do I begin?  Is this possible?
>
>I've seen much support for raid devices in mirroring drives in the same
>computer, but no Linux support for mirroring drives to another computer.
>Are there better alternatives than the idea presented here?
>
>Our monetary goals for this are aimed here --> all free software, or very
>low cost; hardware for a standard fileserver (like we already have) is
>already available less a hard drive, so we look to purchase ony a matching
>hard drive for that which is in our current fileserver.
>
>Your comments, suggestions, and recommendataions are appreciated.
>
>Kevin A. Pieckiel

Hi Kevin,

I haven't tried this with linux, but I have seen SFTIII running on netware
- if it follows the same principles then...

Just a word of caution.  Hardware redundancy is not a replacement for a
good backup.  It just means you're protected against hardware failure.  If
you're mirroring a live file system and an important file gets screwed up,
it's screwed up on both systems.

-Dan Alexander
 Network Engineer
 Flowers Hospital