On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 12:54:37PM -0500, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

[...]

> I'm not sure I'd be so brazen about it.  There's been a number of
> people who have written into this list indicating that they've been
> cut off when it was discovered that they were running something
> other than the "norm".  Just go back through the archives.  Now is
> this true or just the usual cultural fairy tales?  Who knows.  I'm
> sure many of the support and other engineer types probably know
> there's no valid technical reason not to provide service to other OS
> types.  However, there's equally valid reasons from the marketing
> and support management side of things.  First, when you sign up as a
> customer, they as a telco take on a legal obligation to provide you
> with a functional service in a set time frame.  They don't wish to
> open themselves to liabilities stemming from failure to meet that
> obligation when their techies have to support platforms that they
> are not properly trained on.  Hog wash asside, this is a simple
> marketing/business decision based on risk.  Next, we come to the
> bandwidth issues.  Win95,98, NT Workstation, Mac OS are not
> inherently servers.  Linux and others are.  They don't want you
> running hidden servers for the price of a dialup.  I was
> specifically tould that my connection would be monitored and cut off
> if they found incomming syn packets indicating that I was running a
> server, unless of course I paid twice the going rate as a useage
> tax, in which case they didn't care.  So, that's what I did, upgrade
> to a business customer.

My comments are strictly limited to BellSouth. Running any public
server is verboten, but running a 'server OS' is not. If you run a
webserver or such, you likely get the axe. It is no doubt true that
the installers make claims like was reported here, but they are wrong.

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves