* Uncle Meat ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I have another, similar to the ones for NS above 4.0X: too much resource
> usage.
>
> I'll admit I didn't spend oodles of time on it. I installed it and ran it.
> It wanted more of the system allocated than I was willing to give. I
> trashed it.
>
> If I overlooked something that can lower the threshhold, I'd be willing to
> hear about it and try again. Else, it's not for me.
>
> I have no disputes with your points. Only the issue mentioned.

The thing to bear in mind there, is that these releases are
DEVELOPMENT SNAPSHOTS. They are not release code. They are absolutely
*crammed* with debugging tables, checking code, malloc wrappers, etc,
etc, etc. This stuff all eats memory, and slows the thing down. The
binary releases are compiled with *no* optimisation, and with a ton of
debugging symbols.

These milestone snapshots are exactly that. Please remember that when
you check them out.

The renderer itself is incredibly undemanding in terms of RAM and cpu
cycles.

If you don't understand how software development works, please wait
for an official release.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |