On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Ounsted, Toby wrote:

> My named is dying! Here's what I'm seeing: named chugging gracefully along
> doing its stuff every hour and responding to queries. The only thing going
> on in between is SYSLOGD RESTART - after which named takes no further
> interest in doing anything until I reset named (KILL -HUP) at 9:42 at which
> point everything is happy again. Has anyone else experienced similar
> behaviour?? (I think) I've now seen this behaviour 2 Mondays in a row..
>
> It's a stock 6.1 installation with no component updates.  If it's happening
> to me then it's got to be happening somewhere else....

How are you watching the log?  If it's with "tail -f" then chances are the
name server IS still doing it's thing, but it's being logged to a file
other than the one you're watching.  Try restarting your "tail" after
syslog restarts, you'll probably see it there.

The syslog restart, by the way, is most likely just a sign that logrotate
is doing it's thing.  You'll probably find a logrotate script in your
/etc/cron.daily and "killall -HUP syslogd" in your /etc/logrotate.conf

Cheers.