On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Ounsted, Toby wrote:

                > My named is dying! Here's what I'm seeing: named chugging
gracefully along
                > doing its stuff every hour and responding to queries. The
only thing going
                > on in between is SYSLOGD RESTART - after which named takes
no further
                > interest in doing anything until I reset named (KILL -HUP)
at 9:42 at which
                > point everything is happy again. Has anyone else
experienced similar
                > behaviour?? (I think) I've now seen this behaviour 2
Mondays in a row..

                > It's a stock 6.1 installation with no component updates.
If it's happening
                > to me then it's got to be happening somewhere else....

                How are you watching the log?  If it's with "tail -f" then
chances are the
                name server IS still doing it's thing, but it's being logged
to a file
                other than the one you're watching.  Try restarting your
"tail" after
                syslog restarts, you'll probably see it there.

                The syslog restart, by the way, is most likely just a sign
that logrotate
                is doing it's thing.  You'll probably find a logrotate
script in your
                /etc/cron.daily and "killall -HUP syslogd" in your
/etc/logrotate.conf

                Cheers.

                I'm pretty sure it's the logrotate - the presumption being
that named is trying to write to the file, the file gets rotated, named
commits suicide.  The obvious one is to have named log to a file other than
'messages' and ot rotate that file but it's not a real fix and I don't think
that named should behave that way in the first place..

                T.