On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 05:05:38PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > Just got a new IBM 7200 RPM 13G HDD, and I am finding it impossible to
> > turn on DMA with hdparm. Kernel version is 2.2.15pre5. It immediately
> > resets and disables DMA. Using '-d1 -X34' causes an immediate, hard
> > lockup. What's really disappointing is that my el-cheapo WD HDDs with
> > DMA on show 2-3 times the throughput of the IBM with 'hdparm -tT'
> > (different box with newer BIOS). I've played with the BIOS a bit which
> > does support UDMA33, but not having any luck there. PIO mode is set to
> > auto. Any ideas???
>
> Find the file "dvd-ide-2.2.14-1.diff.bz2".  I've forgotten where I got
> it, but contains ide updates for ther kernel, as well as dvd ioctls, and
> support for newer ide chipsets.  I'm using it in my kernel rpm, and it
> works very well on my ABit BP-6 motherboard.  Prior to this patch, the
> BP-6 behaved the same as your description.

Is this the same as Andre Hedrick's (sp?) patches? I know where to get
those. I'll give this a go. I just spent a fair amount of time
installing, updating, primping, etc. Not enamoured with the idea of
re-doing it all.

But if Matt is right, I will be a little annoyed to find that I spend
more the IBM and it performs significantly less than the WD.

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves